Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Surgery and Recovery

We got to the hospital around 9:30 in the morning. They did all kids of pre-op stuff. My mom and Asher stayed at the hospital the whole time. When I first got back there for the pre-op the nurse told me that my doctor had had a cancellation, so I would be going back early for my surgery. But the hospital started using a new computer program today so they were hours and hours behind. The surgery was
originally scheduled for noon and I never went back until 1:30. So the waiting game did nothing for my nerves.

The doctor came back before the surgery to introduce himself to my mom, go over everything one more time, and see if I had any questions. Then I met with the anesthesiologist and he went over that aspect. He was kinda arrogant, but he was the only one I didn't like. Right before they wheeled me back the OR nurse came in and she was really nice and the Nurse Anesthetist was great too. I liked that hospital a lot, it was clean and everyone was very friendly and helpful. The nurses kept bringing warm blankets for both Asher and I. And they set up a recliner in my waiting room so my mom could sleep. One of the volunteers even gave Asher a stuff turtle toy that she made. And they kept bringing him juice and graham crackers.

As for the surgery right before the Nurse Anesthetist gave me a seasick patch so that I wouldn't puke my brains out after the surgery. I tend to get very ill from the anesthesia. Then they gave me something in my IV to relax and I felt loopy like when they gave me that stuff during labor. Then they wheeled me back to the OR. I remember sliding over from the stretcher to the operating table and then they put oxygen on me. Then they told me, "you are going to get sleepy
now." Then the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room waking up. It was like it happened in one split second.

After my surgery the doctor came out and talked to my mom. He said the cyst was larger than he anticipated, the size of a tennis ball, but everything went perfectly. The cyst was only filled with fluid, so there is no concern over the C word. That's a relief. The doc told my mom that when he cut open the cyst it sprayed his mask. Yuck.

The surgery only lasted 90 minutes, but I didn't wake up til almost 4. They put ice on my neck and then once I woke up a little more moved me into another room into a recliner. My recovery nurse was fabulous too. She got me ice chips and saltines to help my tummy and gave me a pain pill. She helped me walk to the bathroom. I left the hospital at 6 and then we went to the pharmacy to get my medications (Lortab for pain, a nausea pill, and antibiotics). I've been trying
to minimize my usage of the pain pills. After childbirth, this is a cake walk.

I have been able to eat real food too! I ate crackers on the car ride and for dinner I had chicken and veggies. It hurts to chew and swallow, but I was starving that I was just happy to be able to eat. I even had a chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

I am all bandaged up, so I don't know what my neck looks like. But my original nurse told me that you can never see his scars, that he is really good about hiding them. My mom changed my dressing a little while ago and the scar is larger than I expected. But it's in a skin crease, so hopefully it won't be noticeable.

Overall I look a little battered and bruised, but surprisingly I'm feeling okay. I completely expected that I would be stuck in the bed puking and in pain. But I've been up walking around. It hurts to talk, chew, and swallow, but that's the extent of it. I have a little fluid in my lungs, but it should clear up.

3 comments:

CharleyCat said...

Thank you for posting about your experience. I suspect I have a thyroglossal cyst and have been searching all over the internet this holiday weekend for info, before I go see my doctor tomorrow. It helps reading about yours. :)

BunnyO said...

Thanks SO much for posting this. I go tomorrow for my CT scan and I was FREAKED about thyroglossal duct cyst surgery. I've never been knocked out and you gave me so much relief talking about your whole experience start to finish. I am so glad to have read this. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use eggs. I know we have to go abroad. I was terrified. I didn't know where to go and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended Dr Itua  to me from western Africa  I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country but I well know they have powerful gifts on herbal medicines and I was afraid because of the language barrier. Anyway she convinced me to give a try. She told me that Dr Itua can also cure my prostate cancer which gives me more motivation to give a try to Dr Itua herbal center medicines. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices which I ordered two four bottles and I drank it as instructed and everything went well. My prostate cancer is gone. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses natural herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. We contacted Dr Itua and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple.  Dr Itua was so confident and hopeful he projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua herbal Cure . Don’t be afraid and just do it! 
Dr Itua can cure the following diseases:Sickle Cell,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Cancer,Autism,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease,  Doctor Itua Contact    Email:    drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  Or Whats-App Chat : +2348149277967